среда, 23 августа 2017 г.

DIY Menu Chalkboard Ella Claire

DIY Menu Chalkboard - Ella Claire

IMG_8293

I have been wanting to build an arched chalkboard for my kitchen for a while now and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. Minwax® is sharing stories and projects of people taking personalization to the next level with the help of Minwax® products and I signed up for the challenge! If you have followed my blog for a while, you already know that I love to doodle on my chalkboard and we use them regularly for decorating, playing with the kids, parties, dinners and more. I have them in many rooms of my home and change them up for the seasons. I wanted this one to be a little extra special since it is in the heart of our home, so we built it with an arch and made it a warm, pretty wood color.


IMG_8130

You can adjust the measurements of the boards to fit in whatever area you would like in your home, but I love the dimensions of this one!


Supplies


  • 1 board of “underlayment” plywood (super thin- about $12) cut down at the hardware store to 72″x22″
  • 2 pine 1″x4″ boards
  • 1 pine 1×10″ board
  • wood glue
  • chalkboard paint
  • Minwax® Wood Finishing Cloths (I used the walnut color)
  • Minwax® Wipe-on Poly
  • chalk

IMG_8138

First I painted the underlayment board with chalkboard paint. I didn’t use a primer and used a total of 3 coats, making sure each coat was nice and dry in between. Next, we cut down my 1″x4″ boards so I had 2 at 72″ (sides) and one at 14″ (bottom piece). Then we cut the 1″x10″ down to 14″ as well. I used a big round platter from my kitchen as a guide to draw an arch on the 1×10 and we used a scroll saw to cut it out.


After we finished cutting all of the boards, I made sure that I stained all of them (on their outer 3 surfaces, not the bottom) using the Minwax® Wood Finishing Cloths, following the package instructions and giving it time to completely cure. The cloths are an all-in-one stain and clear finish product so you don’t need a topcoat, but for extra protection I chose to use Wipe on Poly.


IMG_8176

I coated the unstained sides of the boards with wood glue and clamped them to the underlayment and to my table, with a large piece of painter’s paper in between to protect my table. I followed the wood glue instructions, keeping it clamped for over 30 minutes before moving.


IMG_8207

I also added heavy objects on the long sides just to make sure they stayed in place.


IMG_8211

After it was finished, we flipped the chalkboard over and added finish nails through the underlayment and into the pine boards around the full perimeter of the chalkboard.


IMG_8225

And that was it! It was a pretty simple project that is now one of my favorite pieces in my kitchen. I love how heavy and nice the real wood feels. It is so much better than the particle board pieces you mostly see in stores now. My hubby and I worked on this project together, and I love how much more meaningful it is that way. I love dotting my home with stories.


IMG_8323

I think the arch adds so much charm. I quickly drew a menu on it for now, but I will be securing it to the wall for safety and changing up

the design here and there. You can see how Minwax® can help you enrich the wood and create beautiful and meaningful pieces in your home. Learn how at Minwax.com/madewithlove.


Original article and pictures take http://www.ellaclaireinspired.com/diy-menu-chalkboard/ site


>

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий