вторник, 22 августа 2017 г.

DIY Live Edge Mirror

DIY Live Edge Mirror

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 2.14.22 PM

$1400 bucks!!! As my kids would say, “That’s Wackadoodle!” Okay, maybe my kids say it because I do, but whatever…


We wanted the look of the live edge, without the insane price tag and without having to go all lumberjack and chop down a tree. Guess what? We knocked off this bad boy with plywood and a dorm mirror and it’s amazing!


Live Edge Mirror

Doesn’t that look amazing??? Honestly, I think it’s one of my favorite projects I’ve worked on in the last year. Here’s how you can knock off the look on your own!


Materials:


1″ pine board 10-12 inches wide


jigsaw


mirror adhesive


MDF board


cheapo full length mirror


stain


paint brush


Step 1:


Cut a piece of MDF that is 6 inches wider and exactly the same height as the mirror. Attach the mirror to the center of the piece of MDF using liquid nails. Clamp the piece together (or weigh it down with heavy books) while it dries.


Cheap Mirror Ideas

Step 2:


Draw a twisted, curved line on the piece of pine- start with one side, and then draw another right next to it that mimics the first line. This should be imperfect (thank goodness)! We free-handed ours, but if you need inspiration, pull up an image of a live edge online and copy it onto the wood. The effect we’re trying to get is a “river” of mirror between two live edges.


DIY Live Edge

Step 3:


Cut along the line using a jigsaw. This type of saw allows you to easily follow the small details of the line. To make sure I had a jagged edge, I kind of twisted my wrist back and forth from left to right a bit as I cut- picture the motion of turning a door handle back and forth. Once it’s cut get rid of the piece of wood in the middle (or save it for another awesome project!)


Jigsaw DIY projects

Plywood Live Edge

Step 4:


This is optional, but I used a screwdriver and hammer to chip away at any cut areas that just looked a little too perfect. You should really use a chisel for this, but I had a screwdriver handy- it worked all the same.


DIY Accent Mirror

Step 5:


Stain the wood to your desired color (we used American Walnut), letting it soak in on the edges and knots for an authentic live edge look. Let dry. Attach the cut pieces of wood to the MDF overlap with liquid nails on either side of the mirror. The wood should just cover the edge of the mirror. Clamp and let dry overnight.


Wood Cut Mirror

The result is this beauty!


It looks completely legit, makes a major statement in a room, and cost about $20-$40 depending on your mirror.


I feel like you’d see this in a West Elm catalog or Anthro store for big bucks.


live edge furniture

I really love this bedroom makeover we did for “Knock It Off”. I kinda wish it was my bedroom! Jess and I are both really loving the deep paint colors, mixed with lots of white, and natural woods.


Rustic Makeover

If you didn’t watch this episode of KIO, what are you waiting for?


Click HERE to watch the full episode online!


Rustic Bedroom Ideas

And don’t forget that the countdown is on for Creating with the Stars!


Original article
and pictures take http://eastcoastcreativeblog.com/2014/02/diy-live-edge-mirror.html site


>

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий