суббота, 8 апреля 2017 г.

Aging Wood Instantly Country Design Style

Aging Wood Instantly - Country Design Style

Aging Wood Instantly | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

This old wood….


is new wood aged instantly to look like old barn wood.


This tip is completely my favorite for turning new wood to barn wood in an instant…


well, instant…as in 24 hours!


The technique is instant. There’s the prep that takes 24 hours.


Aging Wood Instantly


The question I get asked more than any other are questions about this technique. I have been using it for years. I keep this post updated and add more information at the bottom of the post. As well as a few of the projects using this aging wood instantly technique.


Here’s the cast of characters for this project


Steel Wool | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

Steel Wool grade #0000


A higher grade would work but takes longer to breakdown and we’re in a hurry to get our projects done, right?


White Vinegar | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

White vinegar


I get asked about all other types of vinegar from apple cider to balsamic vinegar. My personal opinion is white vinegar works, it’s available and inexpensive. I did finally try red wine vinegar with the same results. I’ll still use white vinegar for aging wood and use the expensive kinds of vinegar for salads.


Tea Bag | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

A black tea bag


After the vinegar, I get asked about the type of tea. Use black tea. Basic black tea has tannins. It’s the tannins in the tea that help in

the aging process. Plus like the vinegar, black tea works, available and inexpensive.


Fresh made ironed vinegar | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

A mason jar or any jar with a lid


Content UpGrade | Aging Wood Instantly | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

Your download includes ideas to add chalk, latex paint, waxes and more to your aged wood project!!


The steps


Step 1. Tear the steel wool into small pieces, the jar, cover it with white vinegar and screw on the lid. If using a pint jar I tear about a quarter of the pad and add about 1 cup of vinegar. A quart jar gets about 3/4 of a pad and about 2 1/2 cups of white vinegar.


Now the hard part…wait 24 hours!!!!


The jar on the left is 24 hours old…the jar on the right is about 3 months old.


After strumming your fingers, pacing the floors, drinking too much coffee or tea {given the cast of characters} and waiting for the 24 hours to pass, the jar of steel wool and vinegar will look like the one on the left!


It’s now “ironed vinegar.” I don’t strain the broken up pieces of steel wool. You can if you wish. When painting, I dip the brush into the vinegar {holding my nose} and paint. Ignoring the steel wood pieces. Painting with tea and vinegar is just like painting with water.


I keep leftover “ironed vinegar.” When I make a new batch many times I’ll add it to an old batch after the 24 hours.


Tea painting Country Design Style

Step 2. Make a strong cup of tea, or jar of tea. The tea can be room temp, warm or hot. Paint the tea on new wood. Cover completely with one coat and let dry completely.


So far, the wood will not have changed much.


Paint with ironed vinegar

Step 3. Paint the wood with the “ironed vinegar.” The wood will age while you’re painting. The ironed vinegar reacts with the tannin in the tea and tannins in the wood. It usually darkens more as it dries.


barn-wood-sign-country-design-style

Step 4. Sand. Sanding isn’t necessary but it shows the layers of aging. The tea and vinegar both soak into the fibers of the wood.


So, I sanded the “barn wood” and made it into a sign for a buffet table.


If you’re at one of my buffet tables…you do take risks!!


A stencil cut from a silhouette machine makes the lettering on my new old wood.


Aging New Wood Instantly | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com
Aging New Wood Instantly using tea, steel wool and vinegar to look like old barn wood. Perfect for farmhouse styled DIY projects | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

The photo above shows the process. It’s the same piece of new pine wood as it dries with each step.


Sanded aged wood | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

Here’s a closeup photo. Notice how the sanding brings out a gray under color.


Additional Notes


I made a video showing the aging technique in action. Take note of the fancy fan drying technique and the fact I didn’t take the sound out!!!


Aging wood crate | Country Design Style | countrydesignstyle.com

I use this technique so much I made a crate for holding the jar of ironed vinegar, one for tea and a couple to paint brushes. When I finish painting with the tea I pour it out. Tea will mold. yecch!


ironed-vinegar-country-design-style

On the left is a jar 24 hours old and on the right one that’s about a month old.


ironed-vinegar-country-design-style-2-weeks

This is the exact same jars as the picture above 2 weeks later. The steel wool is almost completely gone.


Additional information on the aging wood instantly technique


  • What happens to age the wood? Black tea has lots of tannins. Tannin adds the dark color to tea and the bitterness. It’s natural in black tea. The wood soaks up the tea with tannin. The vinegar acid breaks down the steel and adds iron to the vinegar. The iron adheres to the tannin and they both turn the layer of wood dark or “aged.”
  • I use this technique so much, I treat it like those friendship cakes that you keep added new batter to the old. I add new batches to old batches.
  • This old wood will age in different colors on different types of wood. White pine turns gray, reddish pine turns brown and rusty. Cedar turns dark brown and sometimes black. Oak turns gray or brown. These are the results I’ve found…so far.
  • If you use the “ironed vinegar” without using the tea first, you will see results. The results are not as dark or “aged” as using the tea first.
  • I’ve heard of results by using coffee instead of tea. Coffee only has trace amounts of tannins. I think the results are from using the “ironed vinegar” and not the coffee. Just my gut feeling. Same with using a green tea.
  • Readers have used this technique on old buildings great results. A gatehouse and potting shed.
  • This technique has been around for years! When restoring old molding, this technique helps aged the new to match the old molding.
  • Don’t leave the tea in your jar. Tea molds and that’s a whole other science project!!
  • The technique will stain your hands somewhat. Your hands might have a little discolor even after washing well. It’s usually gone by the next day. If you’re concerned, do wear gloves.
  • The technique will stain your clothes!! Please wear your grubbies.

tea-and-vinegar-stained-table-top

  • Here’s a project I used the tea and vinegar. I made a new table top for an outdoor table and then aged the wood with tea and vinegar. It’s been outside for over a year. It sits in an uncovered area in the sun, rain, and snow. The wood still looks the same as the day I finished the project. I think it adds a protective quality to the wood.
  • I’ve also mixed this old wood technique with other painting techniques. You can see the results of using chalked based type paints here.

This post has been updated with additional and current information, as I’ve used this technique for years.

If you missed your printable download above…just click
Here!


If you try this technique please let me know in comments how it worked for you.


Original article and pictures take http://countrydesignstyle.com/this-old-wood/ site


>

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий