суббота, 29 сентября 2018 г.

Varnish Virgin Bower Power

Varnish Virgin - Bower Power

Varnish Patio Table

When we left off, we bought, cut, sanded and stained the wood and then constructed the base. It just needed the top. Well, there were some issues we ran into with the plan we got off Ana-White.com. It may have had something to do with the fact that we were making this an outdoor table (the original plan is for an indoor table) and we also were making it longer…thus dealing with wood that was more prone to have warping. So we had some tweaks to the original plan….let’s get into that first.


  • Original plan length of entire table – 96″ Our plan length of entire table – 122″ (would fit two 55″ benches on either side and leave 4″ between the benches and each other and the legs)
  • The 7 1×6 boards that go on the top add up to 38.5″ (7×5.5″) which is exactly how long the breadboard (the perpendicular wood at the head and foot of table) is cut. Well, our 1×6’s wouldn’t fit and the breadboard was too short. So we ripped an extra half inch off both 1×6’s that are on the outsides (closest to the edge of the table) so that we had a little wiggle room. That allowed for gaps between the table top planks which will allow water to drain faster!
  • The unstained supports underneath (visable above) needed extras….vs. 10, we cut 16 total (only two got stained) and we attached two extras closest to the foot and the head of the table

Varnish Patio Table

So now the table is constructed! Bring on the guacamole!


Varnish Patio Table

I love how the benches fit perfectly. I think eventually we may build a center support leg system because already we noticed that the center is starting to warp a little. I always say “the more legs the merrier”.


Varnish Patio Table

But today’s post isn’t really to show you anything interesting or fun, remember?! So wipe that image of lots of legs outta your mind. I know you were – you MagicMikeObsessors you.


Varnish Patio Table

Today’s journey is a little chronicle about finally giving in to the woo’s of varnish. This is my first time. Be gentle.


As you can see, the table was stained a rich dark finish. But it really wasn’t protected from the

elements (aka Will & the weather) and it didn’t really have any sheen…it looked, well, dry. And since this table weighs about ten thousand two hundred and thirty seven pounds, it’s not going anywhere…and needs a way to keep it clean, protect it from water and fading, and also give it a richer finish.


Varnish Patio Table

I’ve heard the best way to go was to try out varnish. Special thanks to Lowe’s Creative Ideas Magazine for supplying the Spar Varnish. It actually boasts excellent UV protection, weather resistence and comes in a variety of finishes. I went with the semi-gloss because I knew that a heavy shine would look a little odd with such a rustic piece of furniture.


Varnish Patio Table

I used a foam brush to apply it and surprisingly – it is WAY easier than poly. First – it is kinda milky. and thin. and when you wipe it on, it does look weird – like whitish and wet…but it dries super clear (so don’t freak out like me). Also, it doesn’t drip as much as a poly…so you can do very thin shmears. Jer said that it reminded him of just painting with water.


Varnish Patio Table

After it dries, it looks really good. Not a huge huge difference – but definitely more moisturized. No gator skin here, people!


Varnish Patio Table

We actually did three coats (they took about thirty minutes each)….and I love the finish. I would definitely try this stuff again for outdoor furniture protection. So that is my varnish romance. Yup…see how unmiserable I am in the Instagram update photo? It must be true love…


Photo: Yay for not dying! http://instagr.am/p/MjOqXAFz5C/

Just to give you guys some warning – this is how our deck currently looks…


Varnish Patio Table

And this is how I want our deck to look this month (see how good I am at setting goals for Jeremy)….


Varnish Patio Table

So there you have it folks – my love story with varnish – do you have one? ever given the stuff a chance?


Also – I had the forethought to write down the cut list for this giant table….would anyone want me to post it at the end of this here post? I am lazy so I thought I’d ask first YOU ASKED FOR THE CUT LIST – HERE YOU GO….DON’T DIE SWEETIE PIE


Varnish Patio Table

p.s. I am completely addicted to Instagram….I’m officially hooked. I owe you one John & Sherry! And if you wanna follow me, I am “bowerpowerblog” and you get to see lots of photos of Will, me eating random stuff, and sneak peeks of projects


Original article and pictures take http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/2012/07/varnish-virgin/ site


>

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий