пятница, 6 апреля 2018 г.

Love the home you have with a reclaimed wood old sign shutter shelf

Love the home you have... with a reclaimed wood old sign shutter shelf

Reclaimed wood and old sign shutters shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
If loving the home I have has anything to do with new creations that refresh old spaces, like this old sign shutter shelf, I am well on my way!

Love your Home Challenge
Love your Home Challenge

Last week, I had a jolt. I went for a walk, and to my surprise, a dream farm

I have long coveted over was wearing that annoying enticing FOR SALE SIGN once again. You can read “Dream Farm, we need to chat” HERE.


But, good ‘ol common sense told me owning my own farm was too much for me to carry alone as is. Expense and work wise.


I’ve owned a farm before, so I know exactly what that entailed. I’ll tell that story soon.


So upon coming home, I slumped into my chair, and wondered how on earth I could become more content with my OWN home, so my eye didn’t wander so easily.


Once home, I remembered I had some reading to do. Melissa from The Inspired Room, wrote a book on this very subject, Love The Home You Have… and I hadn’t even cracked open the cover yet.


Add therapist to your list of achievements, Melissa… I promptly sat my pouty self down with a fresh coffee, and dug in.


Love the home you have by Melissa Michaels / Get organized with an old sign shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
As I read, I sank lower into my chair.

Melissa started off describing her homes. From one to the next, she kept moving. Always looking for ‘the one’. But each time she moved, while she gained in some areas, she lost in others.


Isn’t that so true?


With every home I’ve had, there’s always been a trade off of some sort.


I mean, I love the location of my home. The mountain view back yard. The neighbourhood. I really couldn’t take care for a larger yard myself. I’m set up well for retirement RIGHT where I am.


So WHY can’t I just be content?


I admit, some tradeoffs, such as a little more land and storage space would be nice. I do think our needs change over time. But I’ve come to a bigger realization after a little more reading.


I had to really define the main reason WHY I didn’t love my current home.


STYLE.


Shallow, huh?


Well… it’s a tiny bit more than that.


I live in what’s fondly called a BC box. The shape of my home is a rectangle, with the main living upstairs. Which looks and works nothing like the farmhouse ground floor wrap around porch style I love so much.


Over the years, I’ve been transforming the style of my home INSIDE. One big nod towards my upcycled look was painting my stairway to resemble old crates.


I carried on with MANY smaller projects too.


But the big standing ovation moment was when I was challenged to blend my salvaged junk ways with a brand new modern bathroom vanity.


I went all out. I planked a ceiling for the first time myself… I did a crazy neat attic wall treatment… invented a way to make my own farmhouse window with plain planks… and more.


When I finished the bathroom , I stood back in awe… I had captured the EXACT style I was after. And realized I could make it happen to the rest of this square box of a home I didn’t love.


I had forgotten a mantra I made for myself. I was going to show how anyone could transform their ‘outdated home’ into a farmhouse style they absolutely love.


Create the Home of your Dreams right where you are!
Create the Home of your Dreams right where you are!

Go find your own cute quotes HERE


So it’s now officially back on my list! I’m moving forward with this one, every chance I get. Through big projects and small.


Not sure where to even start with all this yourself? In the back of Melissa’s book, I was encouraged to select one of her 31 Day Challenges. They are small, easy tips that can instantly change the way you feel about your own home.


So as my contribution, I chose to work on my most favourite room. My beloved snow sleigh shelf broke, and it was time to do something fresh and new instead. Enter…


Love the home you have… with a reclaimed wood old sign shutter shelf


Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net

Funky Junk Interiors' Old Sign Stencils
Funky Junk Interiors" Old Sign Stencils

You’ll need:


Two old fence planks

Two shutters

Stencils – I used GROCERY and parts of the large BINGO from my Old Sign Stencils collection

Craft Paint

Cordless drill and screws


1. Clean your reclaimed wood well and allow to fully dry.


For me that meant to pressure wash mildew off the fence panels. A scrub brush with bleach and water may work well too, but I like pushing the easy button now and then.


2. Locate two shutters.


3. Cut two planks down to the same height as the shutters.


Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net

Shutter GROCERY shelf-8853

Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
4. Stencil your planks in a random way so they resemble an old sign cut down to desired size.

I use lots of quirk with placement. Note the G is cut off in GROCERY and only a small portion of the BINGO large stencil was used.


Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
5. Attach shutters to the two planks as shown.

Predrill pilot holes, then attach the shutters to the planks with screws from the sides.


Grocery stencil / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
6. Attach the two planks together on the front with old hinges.

Here’s where quirk reins. Use OLD authentic ones, so your work looks old!


Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
7. Cut a top and bottom shelf to fit the width of your shelf.

Attach.


Instant shelf frame!


Shelf supports / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
8. Create adjustable shelf supports.

Cut small cedar slats to size, then slip into place, supported by the shutter slats.


Reclaimed wood shelves / Get organized with an old sign stencils shutter shelf / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
9. Place shelves on supports.

Cut down fence planks to size, then place on top of your supports.


Create more interest, by showcasing natural curvy wood shapes towards the fronts of your shelves.


Note: screw the shelves into the sides of the shutters for permanent placement if preferred.


Salvaged Farmhouse Bathroom / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
Salvaged Farmhouse Bathroom / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net

I’m even MORE in love with my salvaged farmhouse bathroom now!


Reclaimed wood and shutters shelf with Old Sign Stencils / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net
Reclaimed wood and shutters shelf with Old Sign Stencils / on FunkyJunkInteriors.net

Shutter shelf / funkyjunkinteriors.net
Shutter shelf / funkyjunkinteriors.net

I realize this little shelf in itself hasn’t turned my box of a home into my dream home. But over time, I’m finding that wherever I make the effort to inject MY style into my home, I’m getting a little closer each day.


And even if this isn’t my forever home, (I still desire a tiny bit more land and a barn.. I don’t want much… ) maybe the changes I make will help it sell for more down the road anyway.


Thanks for the timely words, Melissa. I think taking the time to define WHY one doesn’t love their current home is time well spent. Whether it’s due to clutter, lack of space or style, you may wish to further investigate ways you can make the home you have work for you.


It’s a LOT cheaper than moving!


Buy Love the Home you Have HERE to get started on your own 31 day challenge!


Love the Home your With Challenge
See what 32 other blogs did for the

*


*


*


*


*


*


Original article and pictures take http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2015/03/love-the-home-you-have-with-a-reclaimed-wood-old-sign-shutter-shelf.html site


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий